- Main genres
- Subsidiary Genres
Title starts with
- Adapted From
- Target Group
- Country of Origin
Search for Releases within a Language Region
- Language Region
- Release Window
- Number of Episodes
- Average duration (in minutes)
Slice of Life Drama
If several main genres were selected, only results containing at least one of these main genres will be shown.
Slice of Life
If several subsidiary genres were selected, only results containing all of these subsidiary genres will be shown.
- Movie, 1 (1988)Grave of the FirefliesStudio GhibliDramaNovel~89minWhen their mother is killed in the firebombing of Tokyo near the end of World War II, teenage Seita and his little sister Setsuko are left on their own: their father is away, serving in the Imperial Navy. The two children initially stay with an aunt, but she has little affection for them and resents the time and money they require. The two children set up housekeeping in a cave by a stream, but their meager resources are quickly exhausted, and Seita is reduced to stealing to feed his sister.
- Movie, 1 (2016)In this Corner of the WorldMAPPA Co., Ltd.DramaManga~126minThis successor of the long selling Heisei classic “Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms” is a family drama set in Hiroshima's military city Kure during the war. Protagonist Suzu marries and moves from Hiroshima City to Kure, where she encounters uncertainty in her new family, her new city and her new world. However, she manages to live each day healthily and happily.
- Movie, 1 (2019)Kono Sekai no (Sarani Ikutsumo no) Katasumi niMAPPA Co., Ltd.DramaManga~?min
- Movie, 1 (2014)Giovanni's IslandProduction I.G., Inc.Drama~102minIn the aftermath of WWII, Soviet Union soldiers occupy the small island of Shikotan and from this occupation a friendship forms between a young Japanese brothers, Junpei and Kanta and a Russian girl, Tanya striving to overcome language barriers and the waves of history.
- TV-Series, 26 (2012)JoJo’s Bizarre AdventureDavid Production Inc.Fighting-ShounenManga~24minBeginning its tale in 19th century England, young aristocrat Jonathan Joestar finds himself locked in bitter rivalry with Dio Brando, a low-born boy who Jonathan’s father took under his wing after the death of Dio’s father. Discontent with his station in life, Dio’s fathomless drive to reign over all eventually leads him to seek the supernatural powers of an ancient Aztec stone mask in the Joestars' possession – an artifact that will forever change the destiny of Dio and Jonathan for generations to come. Fifty years later, in 1938 New York City, Jonathan’s grandson Joseph Joestar must take up his grandfather’s mission and master the abilities necessary to destroy the stone mask and its immensely powerful creators, the Pillar men, who threaten humanity's very existence.
- Movie, 1 (2013)The Wind RisesStudio GhibliDramaManga~127minKaze Tachinu is about a boy named Jiro Horikoshi, who keeps dreaming of flying and soaring the sky, and of Caproni an Italian air plane designer, that persistantly gives Jiro advice. Several years later he meets Naoko, who he, however, soon loses sight of again. He starts working for an air plane manufacturer, but the company soon goes bancrupt and Jiro is sent to Germany. One day, while visiting a summer resort, he meets Naoko again and the two fall deeply in love, and got engaged not too long after that. Naoko, however, suffers from tuberculosis and refuses to marry until she's in better health. When she felt strong enough the two married, only to see her health subside once again...
- TV-Series, 24 (2011)GosickBONES Inc.CrimeLight Novel~24minThe students at St. Marguerite's Academy in the tiny European nation of Sauville love scary stories and urban legends. So much so that it's a little unhealthy. Kazuya Kujo learns this the hard way when the entire student body takes to calling him the "Dark Reaper" and enthusiastically spreading rumours about his evil supernatural influence because of his black hair and eyes. In an attempt to understand their horror-mania, he visits the library to read up on local legends. Weirdly there is a greenhouse at the very top of the library, itself fashioned from a medieval tower. In the greenhouse is a golden-haired girl named Victorique. Victorique takes an interest in the good-natured Japanese exchange student, and before too long they're using her uncanny deductive prowess to crack all manner of heinous crimes.
- Movie, 1 (2012)Strike Witches: The MovieAnime International Co., Inc.Action ComedyOriginal Work~94minYoshika Miyafuji which has now lost her witch powers and studies to be a doctor in her family clinic, is proposed with a military scholarship to study overseas. Shizuka Hattori, a new recruit of Fuso witches has the mission to escort her. Meanwhile a new kind of Neuroi appears and proves to be a worthy challenge to the abilities of fighting witches.
- TV-Series, 12 (2016)91 DaysShuka Inc.ThrillerOriginal Work~24min
- Movie, 1 (1983)Barefoot GenMADHOUSE Inc.DramaManga~83minDrawn from writer Keiji Nakazawa's true life experiences in the aftermath of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima, Barefoot Gen tells the story of one family's struggle to survive against overwhelming odds. Six-year-old Gen has lived practically his entire life in the shadow of war. Yet he is not prepared for the horrors which follow the bombing of Hiroshima. Contains scenes of extreme violence; reccomended for mature audiences.
- TV-Series, 26 (2009)Valkyria ChroniclesA-1 Pictures Inc.Action DramaVideo Game~24minWhen Imperial forces attack the small border town of Bruhl, Welkin Gunther, son of late General Belgen Gunther, is forced to fight for his life alongside Town Watch captain Alicia Melchiott. Along with Welkin's adopted sister Isara, the three escape to Gallia's capitol and subsequently join the country's militia forces. As members of the newly-formed Squad 7, they must work to repel the invading Imperial forces and discover the true purpose of the invasion itself.
- Movie, 2 (2017)Haikara-San: Here Comes Miss ModernNippon Animation Co., Ltd.RomanceManga~101min
- TV-Series, 26 (2004)ZipangStudio DEEN Co., Ltd.DramaManga~25minScheduled for routine military exercises, Kadomatsu and the crew of Japan's newest and most modern battlecruiser, Mirai, are ready to test out the ship's state-of-the-art AEGIS systems. Instead, they find themselves transported back to June 4th, 1942 - the date of the crucial Battle of Midway, where the Japanese fleet was dealt a crippling blow. But when an overzealous Kadomatsu rescues one of the battle's victims, Kusaka, from a sinking Zero Fighter, the Mirai's fate is sealed. They are forced to fight a U.S. submarine in a battle that should never have occurred, and the crew pledges not to do anything to alter history further. But the flow of history may already be diverted...
- OVA, 3 (2014)Strike Witches: Operation Victory ArrowSILVER LINK.Action ComedyOriginal Work~28minOperation Victory Arrow takes place in the time between the end of Operation Mars in the second season and the movie. Their are three 30-minute short stories that show the lives of some of the members who returned to their homes after season 2.
- OVA, 2 (2011)Senjou no Valkyria 3: Tagatame no JuusouA-1 Pictures Inc.Action DramaVideo Game~30minDuring the Gallian war with the Empire, the nameless is a renegade squadron in Gallia. Although being labeled as enemies by both the Gallian and Imperial army, the nameless struggle to protect the civilians following their motto, "where the regular army can't, the nameless can".
- Movie, 1 (1986)Barefoot Gen 2MADHOUSE Inc.Slice of Life DramaManga~86minThree years have passed since the bombing of Hiroshima and Gen is now a fourth-grader. Hiroshima is still a ruin, and Gen must scrounge for scrap metal to help keep himself and his remaining family fed, but at least commerce has returned to the land. As his mother gradually grows ill from radiation sickness, Gen and Ryuta befriend a group of orphans led by a tough-nosed older child and including a girl who still bears ugly burn scars from the day of the bomb. An old man suffering from depression is also drawn into the group as they come together to support each other and form a makeshift family. Reality is still harsh, however, as many orphans still die lonely deaths and the grim reminders of what happened linger everywhere.
- OVA, 4 (1989)Kasei YakyokuMagic Bus Inc.Romantic Drama~30minTokyo. 1923. The Itto brothers try to build their lives in the middle of the modern city, despite their ties to the Yakuza. Akiko Hasho, a rich young woman, takes an interest in the handsome Takao Itto, alias Taka - but so does her maid, Sara Uchida. As time passes, everything gets complicated... and then, tragedy ensues.
- Movie, 1 (2009)Ningen Shikkaku: Director’s Cut BanMADHOUSE Inc.DramaNovel~89min
- Movie, 1 (2013)ShashinkanStudio Colorido Co., Ltd.Slice of Life DramaOriginal Work~17min
- Movie, 1 (1992)Porco RossoStudio GhibliActionOriginal Work~93minTake flight with "Porco Rosso," a valiant World War I flying ace! From tropical Adriatic settings to dazzling aerial maneuvers, this action-adventure from world-renowned animator Hayao Miyazaki is full of humor, courage, and chivalry. When "Porco" -- whose face has been transformed into that of a pig by a mysterious spell -- infuriates a band of sky pirates with his aerial heroics, the pirates hire Curtis, a rival pilot, to "get rid" of him. On the ground, the two pilots compete for the affections of the beautiful Gina. But it is in the air where the true battles are waged. Will our hero be victorious?
- Movie, 1 (1991)Ushiro no Shoumen DareMushi Production Co., Ltd.Drama~93minKayoko is a young girl in 1940, just starting first grade. She's a bit of a crybaby, which is no secret to those around her. She loves playing with friends and singing cute schoolyard chants, and occasionally having fun with her three older brothers. Her mother is pregnant, and so she looks forward to being a big sister, only partially understanding the responsibility that might bring. Meanwhile, the war effort is growing, and it's only the natural thing to do to be patriotic and support the country...Kayoko goes so far as to contribute her favorite dolly, whose materials could help build explosives. Time passes, and as she grows older, Kayoko sees how the war has affected her life and those around her. Nothing can prepare her for 1945, however, and the bleak times that are soon to come.
- TV-Series, 12 (2010)Strike Witches 2Anime International Co., Inc.Action ComedyOriginal Work~25minThe lovely ladies of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing are back to battle a new breed of alien invader! The extraterrestrial menace known as the Neuroi have returned to Earth, and even a direct hit won't stop these monsters. The Strike Witches are Earth's last line of defense, but they'll have to learn some new tricks to survive this dogfight - and win the war on pants once and for all!
- Movie, 1 (1995)Le journal d'Anne FrankMADHOUSE Inc.Drama~103minThis is the true story of Anne Frank, a Jewish girl living in Amsterdam during WW2. Anne's father realizes on time the danger the Jews face and hides his family (his wife Edith and his two daughters Margo (16) and Anne (13), along with four more people, in "the house behind". For two years the 8 people live in darkness and whispers, in fear of being discovered and sent to the German crematories. During that time young Anne writes a diary, describing her daily life in the cellar, her complicated relationship with her mother and the story of her first love - Peter, the young boy in the hiding place. Anne writes down her wishes to run out free and breath the air and flowers, her dreams to be free at last. But humanity is often a cruel mistress... Annotation: Only the French Re-Cut (88 minutes) has been released in English (French Audio + English Subtitles).
- OVA, 3 (1993)The CockpitDramaOriginal Work~24minThree separate World War II stories featuring a German pilot, a Japanese kamikaze pilot, and a group of Japanese soldiers in the Pacific.
- TV-Series, 12 (2016)Izetta, The Last WitchAJIADO CO.,LTD.Action DramaOriginal Work~25min
- OVA, 1 (1991)Tsuki ga Noboru made niOB Planning Co.,Ltd., Grouper Productions Ltd.Slice of Life Drama~43min
- TV-Series, 12 (2016)Joker GameProduction I.G., Inc.ThrillerNovel~24minIn 1937, before World War II begins in earnest. Lieutenant Colonel Yūki of the Imperial Japanese Army forms the "D Agency," an army intelligence outfit under his command and tutelage. Army General Staff attaches Lieutenant Sakuma to observe the unit's performance. D Agency casts a wide net to find agents beyond Japanese military personnel, and Yūki establishes D Agency's tenets, which go against IJA doctrine: "Don't kill, don't get killed, don't get captured." With this, Yūki trains a team of operatives who conduct missions against domestic and foreign powers.
- OVA, 1 (2017)91 Days: Day 13Shuka Inc.DramaOriginal Work~24min
- TV-Series, 26 (2008)Allison & LilliaMADHOUSE Inc.AdventureLight Novel~24minOn a world where the single massive continent has been literally cut in two by mountains and rivers since the dawn of time, the ongoing wars between those on the opposing sides have continued for so long that the memory of when they first started has long been forgotten. But now, as the war between the alliances of Roxche and Sou Beil extends the conflict into its 130th year, a chance encounter and a hastily staged rescue attempt launches fighter pilot Allison and marksman and bibliophile Wil on an incredible journey - a journey that could possibly end the wars once and for all!
- TV-Series, 12 (2008)Strike WitchesGonzo K.K.Action ComedyOriginal Work~24minThe year is 1944 and the world lives in fear of unidentified flying objects called Neuroi. With the old-boy old guard unable to thwart this deadly menace, humanity turns its desperate eyes to an aerial attack force with much nicer legs. Meet the girls of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, better known as the Strike Witches. These darlings of the great blue yonder may not have standard issue uniforms, but they do have all the right stuff. Where the average flyboy falters, these dolls blast aliens to bits in the bat of an eyelash. With a little magic and a whole lot of leg, the girls of the 501st are winning the war on pants, and aliens!
- TV-Series, 12 (2009)Taisho Baseball GirlsJ.C.STAFFGanbatteLight Novel~24min1925. Six years since the end of the Great War, four years since women were allowed to join political associations, and one year since Emperor Hirohito assumed the throne. Japan is a nation re-inventing itself, swept by wave after wave of wars, disasters and political unrest. War looms in China, males over the age of 24 are about to receive the right to vote, and a strange new type of school uniform called the "sailor suit" is being introduced. But at least the national pastime, baseball, remains bound by tradition, the exclusive realm of men and boys - until now. When a local player arrogantly states that girls should become housewives instead of going to school, teenage firebrands Koume and Akiko respond by forming their own baseball team. It's shocking. It's scandalous. And yet, in a nation in which almost anything seems suddenly possible, it may just be the start of something greater than any nine girls can imagine.
- Movie, 1 (2010)A Jewish Girl in Shanghai?~80min
- TV-Special, 1 (2007)Futatsu no KurumiDrama~55minAyaka Nakanishi is an ordinary twelve year old girl walking Ryan, her german shephard, when heavy rain obliges her to seek refuge inside a telephone booth. The storm causes a strange phenomenon that sends both Ayaka and her dog back in time to March 7th, 1945.
- Bonus, 3 (2011)Hellsing: The DawnGraphinica, Inc.ActionManga~9minHellsing, an organization devoted to the elimination of the vampire threat, has recently uncovered information regarding the attempted production of "man-made undead." The world is presently in the thick of WWII, and the current leader of Hellsing fears the Nazis could potentially use these creatures as front-line super-soldiers. Although the technology of creating artificial vampires is still in its infancy, it has advanced enough to be a serious threat. In an attempt to put a stop to this perverse and dangerous experimentation, Hellsing has sent two of its most skilled agents to Poland. A young man by the name of Walter C. Dornes - a.k.a. "The Angel of Death," and Alucard, an ancient vampire currently in forced service to the Hellsing Organization. Together, they attempt to stop the progress of the Nazi's efforts. (from manga)
- Movie, 1 (1996)Chocchan MonogatariTriangle Staff Corp.DramaOther~76minThis movie tells story of Cho Kuroyanagi and her daughter Tetsuko. His husband go to war and then Cho have to survive without him
- Music Video, 1 (2013)Kimi ga Sora koso KanashikereDrama~4min
- TV-Series, 12 (2011)The Mystic Archives of DantalianGainax Co., Ltd.CrimeLight Novel~24minHugh Anthony Disward inherits an old mansion and a personal library from his grandfather. In the basement of the mansion, he meets a mysterious girl—Dalian. She is a Dantalian and a gateway to "Dantalian's bookshelf", which stores the prohibited books of the demons.
- Movie, 1 (2009)Mai Mai MiracleMADHOUSE Inc.Slice of Life DramaNovel~95minTen years after the end of the Second World War, in a backwater rural town which used to be a major regional capital in Feudal Japan, Shinko, a girl with an active imagination who daydreams about the town as it appeared a millennium prior, befriends Nagiko, a shy girl from Tokyo whose father relocated to the town to become a doctor for a factory. The film follows their day to day lives as they take care of a goldfish in a makeshift pond, fantasize about a cloistered and lonely young princess who moved to the town in the Feudal Era, and help a boy cope with a family tragedy.
- TV-Special, 1 (1979)Anne Frank Monogatari: Anne no Nikki to Douwa yoriNippon Animation Co., Ltd.Drama~105minThis is the true story of Anne Frank, a Jewish girl living in Amsterdam during WW2. Anne's father realizes on time the danger the Jews face and hides his family (his wife Edith and his two daughters Margo (16) and Anne (13), along with four more people, in "the house behind". For two years the 8 people live in darkness and whispers, in fear to be discovered and sent to the German crematories. During that time young Anne writes a diary, describing day by day life in the cellar, her complicated realtionship with her mother and the story of her first love - Peter, the young boy in the hiding place. Anne writes down her wishes to run out free and breath the air and flowers, her dreams to be free at last. Then they are discovered and are all sent to death.
- Movie, 1 (2015)Youtai Nuhai Zai Shanghai 2: Xiang Lian Mi Ma?~83min